After wasting the past month and a half, Hollywood’s come back to life with UNCHARTED and has 5 other boxoffice treasures opening through mid-April.
- WB/DC’s action crime drama THE BATMAN (3/4) with Robert Pattinson will be a lifesaver not just for Gotham City, but for exhibitors worldwide. Its average first choice tracking is more than 5 times the norm. Hollywood handicappers see a $100M opening.
- Paramount’s action-adventure comedy THE LOST CITY (3/25 – pictured) stars Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Brad Pitt & Daniel Radcliffe. It only runs 92 minutes, so exhibs can fill plenty of daily showings — if it’s funny and has great word of mouth.
- When Sony/Marvel’s action-adventure MORBIUS (4/1) with Jared Leto was opening 1/28 it was tracking best with +25F (25 points over norm) & next best with +25M (19 points over norm). Likely pandemic powerhouse.
- Paramount/Original Film’s animated action-adventure SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 (4/8) follows 2020 original that did $149M/DOM & $319.7M/WW.
- WB/Heyday’s family fantasy adventure FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE (4/15) with Eddie Redmayne is the sequel to FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD (2018) that did $159.6M/DOM & $654.9M/WW.