If anyone’s campaigning for Golden Globes best picture noms, it’s Hollywood’s best-kept secret.
Nonetheless, HFPA will announce noms on 12/12. All English language films released in 2022 are automatically eligible. This was a smart change in plans by the HFPA since it was unclear if studios and publicists would actually submit any high-profile movies for consideration.
Here’s a quick look at five films the HFPA might like to see as Best Picture-Drama noms:
- THE FABELMANS: It’s got the loudest best picture Oscar buzz. It would be a major coup to have Steven Spielberg (pictured) show up for the show Tue. 1/10.
- TOP GUN: MAVERICK: It’s grossed $1.5B globally, kept exhibition alive in 2022 & it’s 96% certified fresh with Rotten Tomatoes critics. A nod might help repair HFPA’s relationship with Tom Cruise, who returned his three earlier Globes wins.
- THE WOMAN KING: It’s 94% certified fresh with critics on RT & did an okay $67M at the domestic boxoffice. Viola Davis is a likely best actress-drama nominee. A nom would say HFPA is now paying attention to diversity.
- SHE SAID: A boxoffice fizzle about the investigative journalism that brought down Harvey Weinstein, but it’s an okay 87% on RT. A nod would spotlight HFPA’s appreciation for women filmmakers & female-driven stories.
- WOMEN TALKING: Critics on RT are 90% on this drama about abused women in an isolated religious cult. Here, too, a nom would hammer home that HFPA cares about abused women.