Wide open is exactly where we are right now in this extended awards season’s screenplay races.
Here’s an alphabetical look at 5 ORIGINALS being talked about:
- MANK (Netflix): Jack Fincher’s screenplay about legendary screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz should resonate with screenwriters voting for Oscars, BAFTA’s & WGA.
- NEVER RARELY SOMETIMES ALWAYS (Focus): Director Eliza Hittman’s screenplay about teen girls seeking unintended pregnancy help won best screenplay from NY critics & National Society of Film Critics.
- ON THE ROCKS (Apple): Director Sofia Coppola’s screenplay follows a woman’s journey of self-discovery with her playboy father. Coppola won screenplay Oscar, Golden Globe & WGA in 2004 for her original LOST IN TRANSLATION.
- PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (Focus): Director Emerald Fennell’s screenplay about a traumatized young woman won LA critics screenplay vote.
- TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7 (Netflix): Director Aaron Sorkin’s (pictured) screenplay about the trial following 1968’s infamous Democratic Convention should benefit from being highly relevant to our times. Sorkin won screenplay Oscar, GG & WGA in 2011 for his adaption THE SOCIAL NETWORK.