Oscar’s directing noms usually go to white males, but there’s much more gender & racial diversity in this year’s mix.
Here’s an alphabetical look at what’s buzzing:
- DA 5 BLOODS (Netflix): Spike Lee has directing Oscar, Golden Globes, BAFTA & DGA noms for BLACKKKLANSMAN.
- MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM (Netflix): George C. Wolfe’s film has the best picture buzz & lead actor love for the late Chadwick Boseman.
- MINARI (A24): Lee Isaac Chung has Sundance Audience & Grand Jury wins.
- NOMADLAND (Searchlight): Chloe Zhao’s best picture frontrunner has LA, NY & National Society critics’ wins.
- ONE NIGHT IN MIAMI (Amazon): First-time feature director Regina King has the best picture contender.
- ON THE ROCKS (Apple): Sofia Coppola has the best directing Oscar, Golden Globes, BAFTA & DGA noms for LOST IN TRANSLATION.
- SOUL (Disney/Pixar) – Animated diversity (pictured) makes this best picture contender uniquely relevant. Director Pete Docter has animated Oscar wins for INSIDE OUT & UP. Co-director/co-writer (original) Kemp Powers is also a contender for his MIAMI adapted screenplay.
- UNITED STATES VS. BILLIE HOLIDAY (Hulu): Lee Daniels has Oscar & DGA noms for PRECIOUS.